Support for individuals and families

Support for individuals and families

If you live alone or are a single parent, you can form a 'support bubble' with one other household. This means you can visit each other's homes without social distancing. However, you must pick one household to be your 'support bubble' and stick with it—you cannot switch the household, or connect with multiple different households.

This guidance only applies to single-adult households. If you have more than one adult in your household, you may meet up in groups of up to six in a garden, or other outdoor space, as long as social distancing of two metres is maintained. From July 4th onwards, this will be reduced to one metre.

From July 4th onwards, any two households will be able to meet up in any setting with social distancing measures in place.


Support for Employees

The Government guidance for employees linked below includes the following:

The Government is pursuing a multi-stage 'Plan For Jobs' for businesses and employees. You can read the Chancellor's latest plans here.

The Government has ensured that Statutory Sick Pay will be paid from day 1 instead of day 4 for those affected by Coronavirus. To check your eligibility for sick pay, speak with your employer about your entitlements. For further information visit the website.

The Government has also extended the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme till October. You can check if you're eligible by clicking here

Low-income families whose children are eligible for free school meals will be offered vouchers or meals at home, even if they are no longer attending school due to Coronavirus. You can find our more here.

The elderly and disabled residents of Havant will be able to use their bus pass at any time. This will help them to make most of the dedicated early morning shopping hours. 

The Government has also agreed measures with energy industry groups to support vulnerable people through COVID-19. You can read more about this here.

Information and advice on the rights of employees can be found here.


What jobs are regarded as critical workers (key workers)?

In order to continue to offer critical services as part of the country’s ongoing response to the virus, children of workers who form a central part of effort - such as NHS workers, police and delivery drivers - will be able to continue to attend school, college or childcare provider.

Critical workers include NHS staff, police, farmers and food retail workers, who need to be able to go out to work - the full list of those included is here .


Welfare and Universal Credit 

If you’re not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

The Government have also announced that the Universal Credit standard allowance for the next year will be increased by £1,000, as will the Working Tax Credit. You can read more about the increase to Working Tax Credits here.

The Universal Credit Help to Claim Adviceline (Free) is 0800 144 8 444.


Support for Self-Employed

The Government have announced that they will be suspending the minimum income floor for everyone affected by the economic impacts of Coronavirus.

If you are not eligible for SSP – for example if you are self-employed or earning below the Lower Earnings Limit of £118 per week – and you have COVID-19 or are advised to stay at home, you can now more easily make a claim for Universal Credit or new style Employment and Support Allowance.

If you are eligible for new style Employment and Support Allowance, it will now be payable from day 1 of sickness, rather than day 8, if you have COVID-19 or are advised to stay at home.

Also, the next self-assessment payments will be deferred until January 2021.

You can also claim a grant through the coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-employment Income Support Scheme. This scheme will allow you to claim a taxable grant worth 80% of your trading profits up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for the next 3 months. This may be extended if needed. Please click here to find out more information.


Support for Hospitality Workers

If you work in the hospitality industry, you may be eligible for the emergency Covid-19 grant scheme, providing an emergency one-off grant to support hospitality workers impacted by the coronavirus.

This grant will be a one-off payment of £250 per household and you can access the application form here.


Advice for residents

  • Citizens Advice Havant is a free service offering confidential, independent, impartial advice people who live or work in the Borough of Havant. More information can be found here
  • Older residents who have concerns about welfare, care or housing, can contact Age UK’s free advice line, 8am-7pm, 365 days a year: 0800 055 611
  • There is also a special helpline for vulnerable residents run by Havant Borough Council and Hampshire County Council. The number - 0333 370 4000 – will be manned seven days a week, from 9am-5pm.

This page was last updated on 3rd August 2020.