MP & Other Bodies' Responsibilities

Residents in Havant are represented by a range of democratically-elected representatives and decision-makers. They have specific and largely discrete areas of responsibility.

This guide provides an non-exhaustive overview of the responsibilities of your local MP Alan Mak, as well as Havant Borough Council, Hampshire County Council, Hampshire's Police & Crime Commissioner and Hampshire Fire & Rescue Authority.

The aim is to help local residents identify who is responsible for the area of law and/or policy. Please contact the relevant organisation directly, so your query can be dealt with efficiently, rather than being passed from one organisation to another. 


MP/Westminster Parliament Responsibilities

  • Engagement with central government departments, and areas of national policy that the Westminster Parliament is responsible for
  • Scrutinising and passing national legislation.

The MP does not control any budgets directly, does not provide grants, and is not a member of Havant Borough Council or Hampshire County Council, and has no control over their decisions.

The MP has no influence over council house/social housing allocations, and is not involved in local planning decisions.

Alan cannot assist you with legal disputes, or disputes with neighbours or other residents. Alan cannot provide legal or financial advice. 

Click here to check if Alan Mak is your MP (you will need to enter your postcode): 

The Havant constituency consists of: Havant Town, Langstone, Bedhampton, Leigh Park, Hayling Island, Purbrook, Stakes, Emsworth and Widley.


Most of Waterlooville is NOT in Alan's constituency. Instead, your MP is likely to be Alan's colleague, George Hollingbery MP (MP for the Meon Valley).  

Havant Borough Council Responsibilities

Click here for a non-exhaustive list of of the responsibilities of and services provided by Havant Borough Council: 

  • Housing & Housing Benefit - including applying for a council house/social housing, and all matters connected to social housing.
  • Council Tax, and related issues 
  • Planning and development - including planning permission applications and appeals
  • Parking - including parking permits, fines and appeals
  • Anti-social behaviour, graffiti, abandoned vehciles, and complaints about noise and environmental health
  • Business Rates
  • Coastal defences/management (working with Environment Agency and Hampshire County Council) 
  • Waste disposal, including emptying bins
  • Cycling
  • Markets


Click here to contact Havant Borough Council 

Click here to find out which Havant Borough Council ward/area you live in. This will help you decide which local councillor to contact.

Click here to contact your local ward councillor

Hampshire County Council Responsibilities

Click here for a non-exhaustive list of of the responsibilities of and services provided by Hampshire County Council:

  • Schools and colleges - including school admissions and appeals
  • Transport - including roads, busses, traffic and highways
  • Adoption and fostering
  • Care homes, social care and services for elderly people 
  • Fire services (See below) 
  • Libraries
  • Trading standards
  • Planning (in certain areas)
  • Coastal defences/management (working with Environment Agency and Havant Borough Council) 


Click here to contact Hampshire County Council:

Hampshire Police & Crime Commissioner

Police budget management and policing strategy across Hampshire and Havant

Hampshire Fire & Rescue Authority

Fire service budget management and resource allocation across Hampshire and Havant